dog, podenco, animal

Top 10 Toxic Foods for Greyhounds

top to toxic foo, sick dog, poorly greyhound

Top 10 Toxic Foods for Greyhounds

It’s confusing when you first adopt a greyhound to know what foods they can and cannot eat. Here is a list of the top ten toxic foods for greyhounds.

1. Chocolate

As tempting as it is when a long snout appears out of nowhere and snuffles around as you open your favourite chocolate bar. Don’t give your grey any! Chocolate is toxic to greys because contains a chemical called theobromine. Dogs cannot metabolise theobromine as well as humans can. This makes them more sensitive to the chemicals’ effects. If you want to give your grey a chocolate-like fix stick to carob, which is perfectly safe for canines.

2. Onions

Surprisingly, onions are one of the most dangerous human foods for dogs. Eating too much onion can damage a dog’s red blood cells, which may lead to a serious medical issue called hemolytic anemia. If you suspect your grey has eaten onion take them straight to the vet who can induce vomiting. They may need to have their system cleaned with activated charcoal. This applies to garlic too.

3. Caffeine – Tea, Coffee, Cola etc

I couldn’t live without my morning cuppa – but to greys, coffee is a big no-no. Caffeine causes an irregular or racing heartbeat, vomiting, panting and may lead to tremors and seizures if ingested by dogs. A rapid visit to the vets is needed where the intestines will be flushed, it takes around 24-48hrs for caffeine to clear a dogs system.

4. Xylitol

For a top 10 toxic foods list, this had to be included. Xylitol is an artificial sweetener which is hugely toxic to dogs. It can be found in mouthwash, toothpaste, chewing gum, cereals, some peanut kinds of butter, sugar-free candy and puddings and more. As little as 500mg can kill a small dog, and make a large one very sick. It causes a huge spike in insulin and emergency treatment is necessary if consumption is suspected. Hypoglycemia caused by insulin overload can last for 12-24hrs.

5. Raw Potatoes

This one was a surprise to me, who knew the humble potato was toxic to greyhounds when eaten raw? Raw potatoes contain solanine, a compound that is toxic to some dogs. Poisoning can result in heart problems, breathing difficulties and upset stomachs. Boiling or baking the potato is fine – as long as you don’t slather it in butter, or for a healthier treat why not replace with sweet potato.

6. Macadamia Nuts

top 10 toxic foods for greyhounds

It’s unknown why macadamias are toxic to dogs but they can induce vomiting, shaking, hypothermia and even depression. Doses of 2.4 grams per kg of weight can produce any or all of these symptoms. If severe, poisoning can result in a temporary inability to walk. Unsalted Peanuts and cashews removed from their shells in moderation are fine. Because of their high-fat content though they should be rationed or even these can lead to Pancreatitis

7. Grapes, Raisins & Other Dried Fruits

Never feed grapes, raisins or other dried fruits to your greyhound – they can cause liver failure. They are all poisonous and at the very least will cause vomiting and diarrhea, and if ingested in large enough amounts can be fatal.

8. Fruits With Seeds Or Stones

Not only can fruit with seeds or stones cause damage to the intestines by scratching or becoming blocked, but they can also contain cyanide which is deadly. Signs of cyanide poisoning are salivation, rapid or difficulty breathing, dilated pupils and even convulsions and paralysis. Never feed your greyhound peaches, plums or persimmons, they are the worst culprits for stones/seeds and all contain cyanide. To lesser extent apples and cherries are not recommended unless the seeds/pip is removed.

9. Sugar

Our canine buddies get enough sugar naturally from their diets, they don’t need extra. Not only will it cause tooth decay and other dental problems, but sugar is also a major cause of obesity and can lead to diabetes.

10. Alcohol

This shouldn’t even have to go on a do-not-feed list, it should be common sense. Some people think it’s funny to feed alcohol to a dog and watch it become tipsy. They should not be dog owners! Alcohol can cause serious liver problems, not to mention brain damage over time. A small amount of alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, breathing difficulties, depression of the nervous system, unsteadiness, shaking and lapsing into a coma.

If you’d like to add more to this top 10 toxic foods for greyhounds list, please leave your comments below.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.