Peanut Butter Banana Dog Treats
These peanut butter banana dog treats are quick and easy to make and only use 4 ingredients!
Store-bought dog treats are great for convenience, but often contain fillers and sweeteners. Making your own at home is super simple and you can swap out ingredients to suit your dogs’ taste preferences. I’ve been making my dog treats at home for a while now and so far, these peanut butter banana dog treats are my two greyhounds’ favourites.
Even a small amount of xylitol can be very harmful, so always check the label. If you want to be ultra careful – or you know your dog has a sensitive stomach – you can buy special peanut butter for dogs. I always use normal xylitol-free peanut butter and have had no problems.
Peanut butter and banana are a match made in heaven – but let’s look at what else is in these treats…
Peanut Butter – any brand or consistency will work equally well. Just bear in mind the above advice regarding xylitol.
Oats – I normally use old-fashioned rolled oats. You’ll need to whizz the oats up in a blender for around 20 seconds so they more resemble rough flour with oat pieces still visible.
Banana – The riper your bananas the sweeter your peanut butter banana dog treats will be. If you don’t have any bananas you can substitute with 3/4 cup of sweet potato instead.
Egg – These are used to bind the other ingredients together. Eggs are also an excellent source of nutrition and protein for dogs.
These 4 ingredients are all very natural and dog friendly. In fact, oats are great for dogs which may be sensitive to wheat and grains. They are packed with vitamins and linoleic acid – which is great for supporting healthy skin and coats.
When I was searching for a homemade dog treat using bananas, it had to be fast and simple. Using this recipe is as easy as making a batch of cookies. Plus, you can add other ingredients to them to customise them for your pup. My greyhounds love peanut butter treats, so I knew these were going to be a winner!
Cookie Cutters for Dog Treats
When I made these treats for the first time, I rolled them out and used small round moulds to cut them out. Since I’ve been making them regularly, I’ve upgraded to these dog bone shaped cutters – I love the finished shape and they are really inexpensive.
Peanut Butter Banana Dog Treats
Peanut Butter and Banana Dog Treats
- 3 Cups (300 grams) Oats
- 1 Banana Ripe
- 1/3 Cup (85 grams) Peanut Butter
- 1 Medium Egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add oats to the bowl of a food processor.
- Let machine run for 1-2 minutes, until oats are almost flour consistency with a few big pieces left.
- Add the banana, egg and peanut butter to the food processor.
- Mix until the dough comes together. *If dough seems a bit dry, add a tablespoon or two of water and blend until desired consistency.
- Turn the dough out onto the countertop.
- If the dough is too sticky to work with – sprinkle the countertop with a tablespoon or two of flour, and work some of the flour from the counter into the dough until it is no longer sticky.
- Roll the dough out to roughly 1/8" (0.31cms) thick.
- Cut treats out with a cookie cutter and place onto a baking sheet.
- Bake for 16 – 18 minutes, rotate trays halfway through.
- Cool completely – and let your pups enjoy!